Target is one of the largest department store retailers in the United States. Most of Target’s store locations are in properties that are 135,000 square feet in size and sell general merchandise. The chain has also opened SuperTarget hypermarkets. So, these are superstores that combine a supermarket with a department store. These are larger properties, at roughly 174,000 square feet. These stores also boast larger aisles, more checkout lanes, pharmacy and photography departments, a food court, and a Target bakery.
You can place an order at a Target bakery in person, by phone, or by downloading and filling out an order form to give it at the bakery counter. They can put together breakfast muffins, desserts, or cookie platters.
Their main service is customized cake orders, where customers can choose the type, flavor, filling, icing, and design of the cake.
Target Bakery Pros & Cons
- ［3 Sizes Springform Cake Pan］: 3 Packs (4-7-10 inch) Springform cake Pans can make multi-layer cakes, and have...
- ［Excellent Cake Decorating Kit］ : 48 Numbered icing tips and 7 Russian tips, and the pattern can check on the...
- ［Safe Materials］: All accessories meet US food-grade standards, made of high quality 304 Stainless Steel, plastic...
Target Bakery Pricing
You’ll find a Target bakery in SuperTarget locations throughout the United States. Their premier product is the special occasion cake, which comes in either sheet cake, round cake, pull-apart cupcakes, or a variety of cupcakes. Prices vary by location, as will design options. Some favorite occasions for cakes are birthdays, weddings, graduations, and baby showers. The bakeries do not offer delivery. So, you will need to pick up the cake during regular store hours.
Target Bakery Sheet Cakes
1/4 sheet: serves 16-24
1/2 sheet: serves 32-48
Full sheet: serves 64-96
Flavors: white, yellow, chocolate, marble, red velvet
Icing: chocolate, white, cream cheese, whipped
Filling: cherry, chocolate, white, lemon, Bavarian cream, cream cheese, raspberry, and strawberry
Target Bakery Round Cakes
One layer: serves 6-10
Two layers: serves 8-12
Flavors: white, chocolate, marble, red velvet
Icing: white, chocolate, cream cheese, whipped
Filling: Bavarian cream, cream cheese, raspberry, strawberry, cherry, chocolate, white, lemon
For both of the above cake types, the filling is an additional $4, and character cakes have a fee of $5.
Target Bakery Pull-Apart Cupcakes
Medium: serves 12
Large: serves 24
Flavors: white, chocolate, variety
Icing: white, chocolate, whipped, cream cheese
Target Bakery Variety Cupcakes
Small: serves 6
Medium: serves 12
Large: serves 24
Flavors: chocolate, white, variety
Icing: whipped, white, chocolate, cream cheese
Target Bakery Breakfast and Desserts
Breakfast Platter: Choice of muffins, Croissants, and Cinnamon rolls, serves 14
Cookie Platter: Choice of harvest, Rich Chocolate Chunk, Monster Cookies, and other options, serves 15
Bite-sized Dessert Platter: Choice of brownie bite, Macaroons, and other Archer Farms Tiny Treat options, serves 25-30
Target Bakery Bundt Cakes
One Bundt cake (12 to 14.4 ounces)
Bundt Cake Pack: serves 8
Target Bakery Quality and Timing
The Target bakery cakes have generally been well-received. Some commenters preferred the whipped icing because it was not too sweet. The cakes have been delicious and well decorated, all at a good price.
Target bakery requires 24 hours’ notice for customized cakes.
Target Bakery Compares To Other Bakeries
Information on Walmart’s store bakery is much easier to find. Unlike Target, where bakeries only exist in SuperTarget locations, Walmart has bakeries in each area. Walmart’s offerings include bread, pastries, and customized cakes.
Walmart has many cake flavor options, starting as low as $5.98 for red velvet or German chocolate cake to $13.48 for cheesecake. For custom cakes, the flavor options are either white or chocolate. The same applies to icing, with the color of your choice. The bakery location determines the filling choices like Bavarian, strawberry, or another option. For designs, Walmart has a large catalog, ranging from themes to special occasions, birthdays, and sports.
Walmart also offers donut holes, cookies, brownies, muffins, pound cakes, French bread, Italian loaves, croissants, pumpernickel bread, and brioche dinner rolls.
Costco, like Walmart, offers baked goods and desserts at all locations. So, the cakes are up to 1/2 sheets only. However, there are more fresh-baked options, such as muffins, cookies, and pastries.
They offer vanilla cheesecake, strawberry mousse, and chocolate mousse fillings. Also, the icing options are white buttercream, chocolate buttercream, and cream cheese. The cake decoration options include roses, balloons, sports-related themes, school colors, etc.
Each of the 1,100 Publix Supermarket locations has a bakery. Besides baked bread, pastries, and donuts, the bakeries offer cupcakes and cakes.
For special occasions and custom cakes, the cake flavor options are vanilla, chocolate, marble, and carrot. The icing types are cream cheese, buttercream, fudge, and rolled fondant. The fillings are lemon, raspberry, cherry, strawberry, vanilla custard, German chocolate, and chocolate pudding.
With more than 2,000 stores in the United States, Safeway has bakeries offering artisan bread, bagels, donuts, pastries, pies, rolls, cakes, and gluten-free items. It promises affordable, quality cakes.
Safeway does not offer an online cake ordering option. So, it is best to call or visit the store directly. The bakery handles cakes for birthdays, weddings, graduations, baby showers, and most other occasions that call for customized cakes. Safeway also offers photo cakes.
Whole Foods Bakery
Whole Foods has nearly 500 store locations in North America and the United Kingdom. Each offers a bakery many offerings. It includes cakes, pastries, artisan bread, pies, muffins, and cookies. Also, custom cakes require 48 hours’ notice. They freshly bake cakes, using unbleached flour, natural butter, cage-free eggs, and no artificial flavors, colors, or trans fats. So, to place an order, call or visit your store location directly.
Whole Foods offers at least 12 signature flavors to choose from, some seasonal flavors like lemon or lemon coconut, flourless cakes, and several vegan options. It includes carrot, chocolate fudge, blueberry, chocolate peanut butter, and vanilla. Adding images to cakes costs around $5.00 or more.
Questions to Ask The Target Bakery
If you are concerned about the quality and the ingredients going into your cake or baked goods or have other questions, here is some advice.
- Ask the Target bakery what ingredients go into the baked goods. One common thing you are likely to find is that many cake makers use high fructose corn syrup instead of real sugar.
- Inquire about the flour. The best flour option is unbleached flour. Some bakeries will even use organic flour.
- Question trans fat usage. So, find out if partially hydrogenated oils are used since these are trans fats. It is not uncommon to see a label stating that no trans fats were used on the baked good or cake. But still, see if hydrogenated oils are listed as an ingredient.
- If you are looking for a preservative-free cake, learn the most common ones used in cakes. Ask the bakery if it uses any of these.
- Many bright and colorful cakes use artificial colors. If this is a concern, ask the bakery if it is willing to use natural food colorings. So, these are dried fruits, organic candies, or chocolate sauce. Also, you can always choose to buy a plain cake and do the decorating yourself, using your ingredients.
- It is better to order a cake in advance, rather than buy a cake on the day you need it. The cakes for special, custom and individual orders are made fresh. Then, you can buy the last-minute cake from the display shelf. But, it will most likely have been sitting for a while and will not be as fresh and not made on the day of your visit. So, if you must buy the cake on the same day, find out when the cake was made.
- If you notice in the bakery that an item is set to expire, inquire about getting a discount. So, it is likely the item will be marked down for you instead of the bakery waiting until the actual end date.
Healthier Dessert Options at the Supermarket Bakery
We love our desserts. But sometimes, you must watch what you eat. Still, everything in less is fine, if you make wise choices on what to eat. Also, when choosing a dessert, your nutrition concerns are calories, sugar, and saturated fat content. Chocolate contains saturated fats. But studies have shown it affects your arteries. So, if you have diabetes or are watching your sugar and calorie intake, ask about changing out sugar for a sugar substitute. Then, this will lessen the effects on your blood sugar.
Fruit is one good way to add some nutrition to your dessert. Fruit and chocolate make a good combination of cakes and baked goods. So, when choosing chocolate, go for dark chocolate, as it has less sugar, less fat, and fewer calories.
The Target Bakery is comparable to similar supermarket bakeries both in price and quality. People love their experiences with Target’s baked goods. Also, they tend to be repeat customers. While all Target stores carry baked goods, only SuperTarget locations have onsite bakeries. So, this is you can order and buy custom cakes and baked goods platters. Also, they are not as available across the United States as other supermarkets like Walmart and Costco.
Last update on 2022-09-26 at 02:05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API