Fruit cakes have an interesting reputation, especially during the holiday season when they generally make their appearance. Though commonly the butt of many holiday jokes, some people really do enjoy a good Xmas fruit cake! The key to discovering the joy of baking fruit cake during the holidays is to find a good fruit cake recipe.
Discover the Joy of Baking Fruit Cake This Christmas
Without a good holiday fruit cake recipe, you may really have a laughably bad fruit cake on your hands! To avoid that, be sure to check out this yummy light fruit cake recipe that your family and friends will enjoy. We think you will discover the joy of baking a good holiday fruit cake with this delicious recipe!
Let’s start with the ingredients! In order to make this light fruit cake, you will need:
- 3/4 cup of candied mixed peel
- 1/2 cup or candied green or red cherries that have been sliced into quarters
- 1/3 cup of dark raisins
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of brandy, rum, Grand Marnier, or sherry (this is optional)
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter that has been brought to room temperature
- 1/2 cup of granulated white sugar
- 3 large eggs that have been brought to room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of pure almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of almond flour or almond meal (ground almonds)
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoons of salt
- The zest a one small lemon’s outer peel
- 1/4 cup of reduced fat or whole milk
“We think you will discover the joy of baking a good holiday fruit cake…”
Fruit Cake Directions:
To start out, you can soak the candied peels, cherries, and raisins in one of the alcohols mentioned above (brandy, rum, Grand Marnier, or sherry) for a day. If you follow this step, be sure to stir the mixture periodically.
When you are ready to make your fruit cake, begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Next, spray your loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Your pan should be approximately 9 x 5 x 3″.
Enjoy the Delicious Fruit Cake Recipe
In a bowl, beat together the butter and sugar. Once combined, beat in the eggs one at a time. Then, beat in the vanilla and almond extracts. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
Free Gift Givaway!
We're giving an Angled Cake Icing Spatula away for Free as a Gift to our Subscribers!
Next, add your candied peels, cherries, and raisins and beat the mixture briefly. Add in half of the flour mixture until it has just begun to combine with the rest of the mixture. Then, add the milk and the remaining flour.
Pour the mixture into your loaf pan and if you would like, top with almond slivers or any other toppings you like. Bake the fruit cake in the oven for approximately 60 to 70 minutes. Allow the fruit cake to cool down and sit for a while before you enjoy it!